Two friends reunited (via facebook) bridging the time gap of 30 years, the geographical gap - Australia and USA, and the generation gap; by blogging about food, fashion, fotography, fitness, family, and friends.
Renotta ........http://rrtdesigns.blogspot.com/ Web- www.shopatnextdoor.com/ http://projectknitway.blogspot.com/
Clara ........"Developing a fusion of contemporary food with health, fitness and creative ideas.
http://fitinyourjeanscuisine.blogspot.com - Web www.fitinyourjeanscuisine.com/
http://babyboomerconnections.blogspot.com/ Web www.babyboomerconnections.com.au/


Monday, March 11, 2013

Memories of the forbidden bikini

 
Hi R
Because I live in the Land Downunder, the good news about our constant sunshine is also the bad news.  Two glasses of good red wine have stopped the throbbing in my nose and upper right chest after a day procedure at RNS (local hospital).

It's important to pass it on to our children and grandchildren, even though they already know, that skin has 'memory', and my nose and right chest remembers the times I allowed them to be exposed to the sun.

My Anglosaxon pale skin areas were exposed pre awareness of skin memory and future damage from the sun's rays. Initially, it was when, our family was out there having fun perhaps caravaning in Dad's homemade caravan in New Zealand. If you caught too much sun on the weekend you would peel by Wednesday or Thursday when my sister and I had fun peeling the skin from each other's shoulders, like little monkeys.

Then there was the 'greater awareness stage' - a time when I wanted the look of the time, which meant being brown, even though I was a " 'pakehah - white person in Maori'."
By this time we had moved to Australia and I was a teenager, with a brand new forbidden bikini. Bondi had the whitest of sand and my visit there included a full body spray of coconut oil, resulting in my entire body being fried by the sun. It also meant that the wearing of the forbidden 'bikini' was revealed when I returned home looking like a tomato - and that was how my dad treated the burn ie with ripe tomatoes.

Fortunately our education has moved us on from this state of mind. However many of us remain there and still want to be tanned.
I actually don't want that any more and am reminded today that it's OK to be white.
Clara

To view or add comment, click on "no comment" - you can comment as 'anonymous' if you don't have a google account; or send an email - mosmanmeanders@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your feedback.