Two friends reunited (via facebook) bridging the time gap of 30 years, the geographical gap - Australia and USA, and the generation gap; by blogging about food, fashion, fotography, fitness, family, and friends.
Renotta ........http://rrtdesigns.blogspot.com/ Web- www.shopatnextdoor.com/ http://projectknitway.blogspot.com/
Clara ........"Developing a fusion of contemporary food with health, fitness and creative ideas.
http://fitinyourjeanscuisine.blogspot.com - Web www.fitinyourjeanscuisine.com/
http://babyboomerconnections.blogspot.com/ Web www.babyboomerconnections.com.au/


Saturday, June 5, 2010

Shibori - ancient form of tie dyeing, used to create scarf

 Hi R 
Thanks for your explanation following my question, "What is Shibori"?  It sounds like an amazing method and my thought is that it would be good to record the other fabric embellishments which have evolved via your creativity over the years.  This is what we can do on Grannycircle - ie record the stuff we have learnt over a lifetime so it is not lost. 
The scarf is beautiful, as is 'fly the coop'.  You say that you used Photoshop to resize and create the screen.  As you know a friend and I  had a  silkscreen cottage business. We used a heat method to burn the image on a plasticised screen - how do you create your screens? 

Using technology to enhance the creative process reminds me of my sister who sadly passed away recently.  I have set up a heading 'A Beautiful Quilter' to tell you how she created exquisite quilts using digital technology to enhance her work.  And this was a woman who knew 'nothing' about computers and was not even on the net!
So much to tell you........
Clara
- As for Shibori, it is an ancient Japanese form of tie dye that involves folding and stitching the fabric before dyeing it. I should really call my method Renottabori as I have developed my own fabric embellishments over the years. Recently I've been screen printing the fabric with textile ink first and not heat setting it. Then I dye the fabric and wash it well. This removes the original ink that acted like a resist to the dye so my screened image remains, but with a very natural soft hand. Depending on what I'm after, I may still screen print again but with thickened dye that permeates the fabric. That is the plan for today's "aggregate scarf".





Aggregate Scarf...june 5th











Aggregate Scarf...a composite of materials and patterns.












Aggregate...June 4th






Aggregate...a composite of materials. I found this unique stone in New Mexico and bezeled it in sterling and added it to a composite of similar beads, nature's aggregate photographed on man's aggregate.













Fly the Coop...June 3rd






Fly the Coop or Leafing Home...hand dyed scarf with leaf print. This is one of my favorite silk screens made from an actual leaf that nature created, not me. Thanks to Photoshop, I resized it several times and created the screen. No doubt you'll see again.




R






No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your feedback.